Thursday, February 5, 2009

Gaiting

Last night we practiced some gaiting and free-stacking in the driveway and down the street. She's really quite good at maintaining a nice little trot and a loose leash. We did that for a while and then we practiced free-stacking right in front of me instead of to the side of me. She's not as clear on that concept because we've never done it before, but she'll get it soon enough. I had Mom play judge mainly because we don't want Audrey to end up like Mackenzie who can't function anytime Mom OR Dad is anywhere near the ring. Of course Mom thought Audrey looked great even when she had one leg totally out of place like a GSD show stack. :)

After doing that for a few minutes I still had some bait left so I ran inside and traded dogs. Now I know this blog is about Audrey, but I must talk about Mackenzie for just a few sentences. When I came inside last night I was sniffling and breathless from the cold front that swooped in while we were out there and all I could say was "Mackenzie is such a BADASS."

It was the middle of 5PM traffic, two other people were walking their dogs (both stopped to say Hello and watch us for a while), neighbors were coming home from work or unloading groceries, cars were speeding down the road, and Mackenzie was focused enough to HEEL in the STREET with me. We worked pace changes (normal, fast, slow), about turns, fronts, finishes, everything I could think of before it got too cold and windy to function. She was absolutely incredible. She is so ready for the San Antonio show at the end of February. Too bad we didn't enter. :(

No comments: