Thursday, May 21, 2009

Next up for the pup

Next up for Audrey is going to be a practice run at her Delta Society therapy dog evaluation. She is ineligible based on age (she needs to be 1yo to be evaluated) but I would like to see how well she would do right now. Mackenzie and I are members of WAGS (Wonderful Animals Giving Support) so we are hoping to squeeze Audrey into the summer evals/workshop to see how she does. She is still quite shy when people approach her but overall I think she has the perfect temperament to be a therapy dog because she adores people.

Mackenzie was the first dog I've actually done dog stuff with, so she started much later in life. I got her while I was in college, so we didn't quite have the time or resources to start doing stuff while still in New York (although I kick myself now). Mackenzie became a therapy dog shortly after her 3rd birthday and didn't enter the obedience ring until she was nearly 5yo. Now, since I sort of know what I'm doing, hopefully Audrey can get a head start on her dog "stuff" career at a much earlier age. That being said, I will never force her to do anything that she is uncomfortable with or that I feel she is not ready to do/or capable of doing just because Mackenzie did it. :)

No comments: