Thursday, April 16, 2009

Adventures

Yesterday I needed to pick up Mackenzie's framed RN certificate with her ribbons and pictures of me and her with the judges at Hobby Lobby. Audrey needed a few treats and I had a $10 coupon for PetSmart so I decided to wait until Mom came home so we could do both errands. I definitely wanted to take Audrey because obviously she needs it. And secretly because I enjoy the comments I get when I walk her. :)

So off we went and lo and behold, Audrey was an Outgoing Friendly Puppy. She was pulling to meet people in the parking lot, and once inside the door steered us straight toward the registers where one of her favorite people was standing (my pal Marianne). She was wary of sudden movements from the young children she met (but allowed them to pet her), and was still slow to greet people when they reached out towards her and over her head. But the highlights were when a few of my friends asked to greet her, they knelt down or allowed her to approach first and she was perfectly calm and accepted petting and high-pitched greetings. She took treats from people, sat when I asked her to, she would down, AND she would Heel. She even got to play with the fattest Cocker Spaniel ever.

Mom was super impressed and said it "made my heart burst with pride to see her act like that" (in those exact words). We've made some incredible progress I think. Although Mom thinks it was because she was with me and Audrey felt more secure with both of us there. Either way it was BY FAR the best she has ever acted out in public and it gives me hope that she will be a normal outgoing friendly puppy in no time.

No comments: